Hi,

thanks for the quick reply, Victor.

I have now managed to get the updater running, but let me tell how - the
updater definitely had permissions on both the backup and the data
folder (and their respective parents, both belong to the www-data user,
and I have for test reasons assigned them permissions 777 for the
moment), but still the "Update Center" would only show a blank page and
said error message about being "Unable to move ...". The only thing
which helped was to manually remove the backup folder. For test reasons,
I recreated the backup folder - and there I was back with the blank
page. So there clearly is some issue in the updater when the backup
folder exists, and it is not about moving the folder (or moving across
disk boundaries is not supported by php or something? it certainly is
not about permission/ownership).

By the way the current log file format seems really weird. All paths
have escaped slashes (no idea why???), and times are mixed, some are in
a human-readable format, some are unix timestamps, what's up with that?

Regarding the data folder: Was there any thought spent on how the case
will be handled where a user has the same name as a folder an app
stores into the data folder? The user "home" folder is only determined
by the username after all, right? There's no separate mapping, or is
there one? For test reasons I e.g. created a user called "news". And for
sure, his file directory was created within the app's "news" directory.
That seems like huge accident waiting to happen to me - at some point
some data will get horribly mixed up...
For example: When deleting this test user "news", the news folder was
promptly deleted... gaahh (anticipating that, I had thankfully made a
backup)!

So there clearly needs to be some design discussion about how to
separate those two things, user data and apps data.

Sorry about the long an mixed up mailing, didn't have time to make it
shorter and better aimed...

Regards,
Randolph