Hi Eliot,

Thanks for the great-as-always feedback, I will add an internal issue and find some time to explore this. Maybe as workarounds both these use cases (references to web links and references to image resources) could be done with some XSLT scripting. For web links, you could create a comma or pipe-separated text file containing the Key/Target/Format columns and then use XSLT to convert the data to DITA keydefs. For image keydefs, at some point I wrote a blog post about using ANT and XSLT to generate a DITA Map containing a keydef for each image in a certain folder:

http://blog.oxygenxml.com/2016/10/replacing-direct-image-references-with.html

Regards,
Radu

Radu Coravu