Hello!

There is no .desktop for kolorserver in the package "kolor-manager" like it
was for 13.2:

/usr/share/kservices5/kcm_kmdevices.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/kcm_kminfo.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/kcm_kmsettings.desktop
/usr/share/kservices5/settings-kolor-management.desktop

It is still in the package from 42.2, but obliviously in the version for kde4:

/usr/share/kde4/services/kded/kolorserver.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/services/kmdevices.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/services/kminfo.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/services/kmsettings.desktop
/usr/share/kde4/services/settings-kolor-management.desktop

But I don't know if it will ever work for plasma 5, I just read in the release
notes for 5,9 that they dropped the OpenGL color correction. It's sad, because
it was working for me without any problems for years in kde4. Will there be an
update for KWin, especially now that Wayland is coming or will there only
Compicc be left for full screen color correction?

And there will also be more wide gamut screens on the desktop in the future
and so far only apple seems to take care of that:

> http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/08/iphone-7-and-apples-next-retina-display-frontier-wide-color-

Greetings

Tobias

> author        Martin Gräßlin <mgraess...@kde.org>     2016-11-17 14:03:54
> (GMT)
> committer     Martin Gräßlin <mgraess...@kde.org>     2016-11-22 06:16:51
> (GMT)
> commit        17e0bad922c7b9b17164987d2a4d64bff936edae (patch)
> tree  e35166d5933aa782ad6994a8a3625ac52e24de37
> parent        2619ddf02e4efa2e670650b4f2e79fff7545d96b (diff)
>
> Drop OpenGL based color correction from KWin
> completely unmaintained and hasn't seen any commits in years. It
> requires kolor-manager to function, but that has not seen a release
> based on frameworks yet. This makes it difficult to maintain. In fact I
> have never been able from the introduction till now to setup a color
> corrected system. One needs kolor-manager and oyranos and especially the
> latter is hardly available on any linux distribution (e.g. not on the
> Debian/Ubuntu systems).
>
> Due to being unmaintained color correction in KWin did not keep up with
> recent changes. Neither did it see any updates during the xlib->xcb
> port, nor during the Wayland port. Especially the Wayland port with the
> rendering changes make it unlikely to function correctly. E.g. Wayland
> introduced a proper per-screen rendering, while color correction did a
> "fake" per screen rendering. How that is going to work in combination is
> something nobody ever tried. Now after the introduction of proper
> per-screen rendering the solution would be to port color correction to
> the new api, but that never happened.
>
> Color correction also modified the shaders, but a newer shader API got
> introduced some time ago. Whether the color correction shader support
> that or not, is unknown to me. Also which shader language versions are
> supported. I know it was based on 3d texture support, which back on
> introduction was partially lacking in OpenGL ES. Nowadays that changed,
> but color correction didn't update.
>
> Last but not least it is completely X11 based and there is no work on
> how to make it work with Wayland.
>
> Given all the problems, especially the fact that it is unmaintained and
> cannot be setup on my system, means to me that the only solution is to
> remove it.
>
> I'm open to having it reintroduced in future, but only if the
> availability on Linux distributions gets addressed before. As long as
> major linux distributions do not ship this feature, it should not be in
> KWin. Given that I must say that it was a mistake to add it in the first
> place and I need to point out that I was against the merge back then.
>
> Reviewers: #kwin, #plasma
>
> Subscribers: plasma-devel, kwin
>
> Tags: #kwin
>
> Differential Revision: https://phabricator.kde.org/D3402
>https://cgit.kde.org/kwin.git/commit/?
id=17e0bad922c7b9b17164987d2a4d64bff936edae