Folks, just a heads up about a strange problem that I just solved.

Over the last several weeks I've had random fatal crashes in Visual Studio
2008. I could find no reliable pattern to the cause. I suspected it was a
certain part of a large project, but recoding it made no difference. I
uninstalled the VS2008 power commands, but it made no difference. I became
extra suspicious when I received the crashes in tiny trivial utility
projects.

I closed a bunch of IDE windows (watch, breakpoints, immediate, etc) and
suddenly the crashing is cured. I can't be bothered trying to reproduce and
diagnose the problem to find the offending window, but the cure is
miraculous. So I just want to mention this in case someone else suffers the
problem or has something to say about it.