From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Bec Carter
Sent: Wednesday, 9 June 2010 12:00 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Custom exception?

Hi!
>From the more experienced programmers here, when is it appropriate to
create custom exceptions?
I am finding a mix of opinions around.

eg. I have a class which generates reports. Part of the process is to
create a directory if it does not already exist. If the create
directory  fails several types of exceptions can be thrown like
System.UnauthorizedAccessException, DirectoryNotFoundException and so
on. Should the caller of this class care about all of these or should
they just worry about catching a ReportGenerationException which tells
them exactly what went wrong?

Cheers. --Bec--