For me, I would like to be able to read newspapers, but the main use will be
to read technical books and novels. I have a few pdfs but have not purchased
many ebooks as I haven't had a reader and don't really like reading a lot on
the laptop/desktop. So, I guess I will be reading mainly pdfs and whatever
format any ebooks I buy come in.

The other thing I'm interested in is ease of navigation and the ability to
write notes. Do any of you write notes onto books you are reading? Is it
easy to search? Navigate to a particular page? Create bookmarks?

I have zero experience with using any of the readers - I've never seen one
"in the wild" - so any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm leaning towards the Kindle, but am happy to be steered elsewhere.

Cheers
Dave