Hi Matt, that warning about "not for ASP.NET development" is rather scary
when you first see it. I get the feeling that there was going to be some
artificial political restraints on how SQL CE could be used, but they
changed their mind and that workaround was made public (or vice versa).

I've been using SQL CE as the lightweight backend of some ASP.NET apps and
WCF services for over a year now, some in production use and working well.
As I said earlier in the year, I quite like SQL CE, it has a kind of simple
clarity and neatness that I admire. Personally, I hate bloatware, so I love
liteware.

So long as a single thread is accessing the CE database you'll be fine, so
don't forget to keep it structured that way. Whereas LINQ to SQL generates
entity classes for you (I've never used that in production), I think you'll
have to get the same effect by running SqlMetal utility manually over the CE
database. But I've never bothered to do that either, I just drop CE tables
in the VS designer and make strongly typed DataSets which pass data up and
down using classic ADO.NET techniques. People heap scorn on XSD generated
DataSets, but when used with classic ADO.NET and SQL CE I reckon they make a
nice "lite" solution. Incidentally, for your use, even an Access MDB might
be acceptable.

Sorry I haven't really answered your question, other to say I'm happy with
SQL CE in web apps. I don't like LINQ to SQL as it never used to scale
across tiers very well.