I claim my estimates of 5 minutes for insert of 1177 rows vs 2 seconds the
select * is in the correct range. I have ADSL2 via Exetel. The insert calls
were inside a DataReader loop and I had prepared the DataCommand parameters
outside of the loop, setting the values inside the loop. I’m sure the code was
sensible.

I expect to be running a lot more Azure DB tests over the coming weeks, so
perhaps a pattern will become clearer. I am certainly concerned by the poor
insert performance, as it’s so bad that it could cripple an application at
times. We’ll see...