I should have used a more accurate subject - it's not the CMD-window title,
it's the external process title that I want to change.

Win32 API GetWindowText is ReadOnly. SetWindowText has this restriction -

If the target window is owned by the current process, SetWindowText causes a
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632644(VS.85).aspx> WM_SETTEXT
message to be sent to the specified window or control. If the control is a
list box control created with the WS_CAPTION style, however, SetWindowText
sets the text for the control, not for the list box entries.

To set the text of a control in another process, send the
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632644(VS.85).aspx> WM_SETTEXT
message directly instead of calling SetWindowText.

Michael, TaskManager is a mystery to me (except for using the thing, though
I find SysInternals ProcessExplorer more useful).

I'm not sure that the titlebar colour or background colour would be
informative enough - or whether I have access to those for the process. I
can of course track by handles within my .NET calling app, for the numerous
separately-invoked instances of the external process- but it is the visual
text that is needed.

  _____

Ian Thomas
Victoria Park, Western Australia