At work, both host and guest OS are WinXP.  The host has pretty much
nothing installed except for VMWare Workstation.  I also switched off
as many options and services to reduce the resources it uses.  I have
been doing this for years and would only reluctantly go back from a
VM.  It is far too versatile.

At home I have a Vista host (*sigh* should have stuck with XP) just
for games and hardware support and Linux in my VMs for everything
else.  Again, I'm very happy with this arrangement and will continue
it for the forseeable future.
David

"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes
 will fall like a house of cards... checkmate!"
 -Zapp Brannigan, Futurama