On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 3:48 PM, David Kean <david.k...@microsoft.com> wrote:
> Now I’m from Microsoft, so bear in mind that we tend to over engineer
> solutions, however, we typically make sure everything is in source control.
> (In the Developer Division case, this even extends to.NET [and VS!], but
> completely ignore that part)
>
> In any shop above a few developers I would personally put anything that
> doesn’t come with a standard VS installation, including build scripts  (even
> build targets such as  Silverlight v4.0 targets) and any 2nd/3rd party
> references. This makes ensures that the Devs and the build machines are
> always building exactly the same thing – unfortunately, in certain
> situations MSBuild will pull references from the GAC if it can’t find them
> anywhere else, with can lead to issues such as devs compiling against some
> fandangled new version installed on their box, instead of the one they
> should be compiling against.
>
> This also has the advantage of making it easier for new devs, because all
> you need to tell them to install VS and do a full get of the database.

Unsurprisingly, I completely agree with you.

The SVN project should be structured such that it is isolated and can
be run as-is without any dependencies.

I tend to shy away from libraries that suggest they should be installed.

--
Noon Silk

http://dnoondt.wordpress.com/  (Noon Silk) | http://www.mirios.com.au:8081 >

Fancy a quantum lunch?