From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com]
On Behalf Of Joseph Cooney
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2011 1:37 PM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: Get version of native Windows 32 executable

Qt looks pretty nice. It's a shame it's future is now under a cloud re:
Nokia.

Joseph

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM, David Connors <da...@codify.com> wrote:

On 1 March 2011 14:18, Ian Thomas <il.tho...@iinet.net.au> wrote:

David #2
Yes, I did that after seeing the response from my test code. The
MinGW/GCC-compiled executable doesn't respond to
FileVersionInfo.GetVersionInfo - an empty string is returned. All the
property details except size, type, date modified are blank.

Yeah typical effort from the FOSS movement. I really don't understand the
whole MinGW effort and all this nonsense with getting crap like Apache and
so on going on Windows. Most of the resulting software is terrible to use.
That said I did have cause to build a QT based app a couple of weeks ago and
it wasn't terrible.

The steps to get any sort of resource embedded in a PE format executable
when using GCC/MinGW etc. would be beyond painful.

Maybe if you're concerned about your app being incompatible with future
versions of the MinGW app you could just hash the executable file as a way
of detecting a change?

--

David Connors |  <mailto:da...@codify.com> da...@codify.com |
<http://www.codify.com> www.codify.com