I use AVAST and am pretty happy with it - I too gave up on AVG a few years
ago.

I find Avast to be pretty good, not too intrusive and I haven't had a single
virus issue in three years on 5 different machines.

But the clincher for me is that on Talk Like A Pirate Day, all of the Avast
dialogs do talk like a pirate. And what could be better than that, me
hearties?