I think the 80/20 rule applies here. 80% of apps can be developed using
today's standards. 20% may require something more 'exotic' such as
Silverlight / Flash.

The problem with open standards is that they're lagging behind the curve (in
some instances by a long way). For example, HTML5 is missing native
multi-touch support. I believe there's room at the bleeding edge for
technologies like Silverlight and Flash