For what’s is worth I had a similar problem with sending data via FTP using
a FTP control.

The firewall would drop packets if it did not like the negotiated data port
.

When this happened the application (this happened when the command line FTP
in a windows shell was used) would hang.

No time out or exception.

I had to use WireShark to observe the FTP communication dialog.

As the negotiated ports vary, most of the time it would work fine but every
now and then this would happen.

The Firewall did log the fact that it was dropping packets but the
administrator did not think it important enough to let me know ( I am only
user among many).

If you are using a desktop application one can kill it.

If it is a service that operates continuously then it’s a real headache.

I had to write another service that monitored this service and kill it if
was hung.

The operating system would then start a new instance.

Regards Peter