Finally, mystery solved.

I found some more stuff to disable in the Extensions Manager, the guilty one
being TtestLint from Typemock.

http://www.typemock.com/test-lint
Turn it off and it no longer logs to the temp file. At least I know its not
malicious now. I'll have to blog about it so that doing a search for it has
a chance of being found...

thanks all for the help with the detective work. :)
cheers,
Stephen