Pardon me for putting this into two groups, but I'm out of ideas this
morning and I've wasted just over 2 hours trying to get a hello world WCF
basic service and a Silverlight 4 app talking. First it took 40 minutes to
find a working sample of a Web.config that exposed the service as
basicHttpBinding *with* metadata. Then I hit the problem below and it took
30 minutes to get fiddler working on localhost, but it shows no errors
anyway. I've tried dozens of so called solutions from web sites about
adjusting config files, using clientaccessplicy.xml files in different
folders. I knew none of this would work, but I wasted the remainder of my
time anyway, I dunno why I do this, I guess you just get resigned to the
fact that nothing will work but you do it anyway.

So after scrabbling away since 8am I'm still stuck with the "cross-domain"
error below.

Greg

To: 'ozSilverlight'
Subject: attempting to access a service in a cross-domain way

Folks, I've just created a hello world WCF web service with basicHttpBinding
which I know is working correctly from URL
http://localhost/PhotoService/Service1.svc.

I created a simple Silverlight 4 app with a single button to call the
service to sanity check it's working. It dies with this:

An error occurred while trying to make a request to URI
'http://localhost/PhotoService'. This could be due to attempting to access a
service in a cross-domain way without a proper cross-domain policy in place,
or a policy that is unsuitable for SOAP services.

Web searches hint that I need a clientaccesspolicy.xml file and they argue
about where it's supposed to be placed (I'm still not sure where). However,
I have other apps like this one I've just created and none of them need a
policy file. I've never created one before. What's going on this time?!

Is there some trick I've forgotten? Any ideas anyone?

Thanks