Thanks everyone for detailed replies on this, which led to find the magical
missing link to get log4net working. You need one of these:

log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure();

-or-

[assembly: log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator(ConfigFile = "testapp.exe.config",
Watch = true)]

The parameterless Configure() method is easier and tells it to use a section
of the default config file, which is fine for me.

Most of the documentation on log4net I've found so far concentrates on how
the appenders work and how to write their config elements. Not even the
log4net samples have the lines I've listed above. I couldn't find a single
simple example that worked.

Now how do I chose between log4net and NLog?

Thanks