Yep, its always been like that.

I've learned a new gesture thats kind of cool. On touch device, you can
cycle through tasks by swiping slowly from the left edge (knew that) but if
you then flick the image (of the next screen) back towards the left edge it
brings up a view down the left edge showing thumbnails of all the screens
running. You can get this view open with mouse by mousing over top left and
slowly moving down the left edge.

Wonder if there are any easter eggs. :)