It’s not a restriction since the server is at my house and then eventually
there will be one elsewhere for backup/failover when I can afford it.  I’ll
explain in a bit, but you might find what I have to say regarding this
interesting.

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Tristan Reeves
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 8:29 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: open Source XMPP server in .net, good idea?

Hi,
Maybe you could expand on your reservations wrt java? Unless you are planning
to modify the source, it's hard to see any reason not to use it (ignite
realtime) as is. At least, hard for me to see.

Also I'd guess the average Windows Server (I assume yours are Windows Servers)
has plenty of non .net stuff running on it. Why would running an xmpp server be
any different?

As for porting a large active java OSS project to c#...how should I put
this...it's not a one-person job :) Don't forget the maintenance:)

The ports I can think of (the ones that come to mind are only
lucene.net<http://lucene.net> and spring.net<http://spring.net>) are needed
because lucene and spring are not stand-alone programs. They're needed so we
can use the respective APIs from our c# code. Unless I'm missing something, a
package like ignite does not have such an API. It is intended to run as an
program, not as a 'library'.

In summary, I'd say that there's no compelling case to consider doing a port
from java to c#. If you really have a restriction that you can't run java on
your servers, then that seems really, really weird, at least to me. I'd be
interested to know if anyone else has, or has come across, such a restriction.

Regards,
Tristan.

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Katherine Moss