I am hosting my SAAS app www.youreontime.com on Azure for the last couple
of years, so someone is using it!

I agree deployment is slow, it takes be 45-60 minutes to deploy.

With the database error have you tried connecting directly to the SqlAzure
database from your local machine to run the tests or are you connecting to
a local database? There are some differences between SQLServer and SqlAzure
that could catch you.