From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com]
On Behalf Of Katherine Moss
Sent: Saturday, 16 March 2013 5:48 PM
To: ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com
Subject: Visual Studio once great for blind users, but not anymore: how to
work around this and still be able to learn the Windows 8 Runtime interface?

Hi,
I would hate to have to run two copies of Visual Studio (one 2010 and the
other 2012) on here, for this computer works hard enough, but that's what
it's looking like will have to happen in order for me to progress in my C#
learning, for after doing some testing, I realized that most of the parts of
the interface of Visual Studio that were once accessible to all of my screen
readers, are now accessible to none; the properties window, the toolbox, the
project properties multitabbe dialog box, and I'm sure there was one other
area, of visual studio 2012 are like having nothing there; nothing is read
allowed.  Try a demo of JAWS from Freedom Scientific or Window-Eyes from
GWMicro (you can navigate with the mouse for the most part even with screen
readers enabled), and do a side-by-side comparison of the toolbox
especially, since this is the real gotcha here.  To test them, use your
arrows and your tab key to examine the toolbox.  You will notice one thing.
2010 reads, 2012 doesn't!  And never mind learning the new Windows interface
from a programming prospective, but I don't think there's a way to enable
those templates in VS 2010?  If there is, please, tell me how.
The second reason I'm sending this message out is because one ambitious
technologist like me requesting support from GWMicro, Serotek, and Freedom
Scientific to give support for the latest version of Visual Studio is not
going to do much.  I need a ton of us requesting it; maybe even the sighted
community; to remind these people that the blind community will not bend to
their will (that is, stop updating the support to support the latest
features and interfaces properly, so in terms of Visual Studio, restricting
blind people to the 2010 version if they want to get anything productive
done, and the sad thing is that most of us just accept that and move on), so
that they can give up keeping with updated versions.  It's like screen
reader manufacturers are stuck in the time when from windows version to
windows version, things didn't change much; it's like they are deliberately
refusing to keep up.  Like they're stuck in a rut.  And I'll tell you, I'm
not having this anymore.  Are you?  Who's with me on this?  Thanks to
everyone on here, and I look forward to this discussion continuing.