No matter which party gets in, its still an investment that looks like its
going to happen, so the ROI is actually irrelevant. I guess it's all moot
given that Liberals are highly likely to win anyway and blow all that money
on a substandard system that doesn't solve the problem.

The point of the exercise was actually to replace the decaying copper
infrastructure, which costs $1 Billion/year to maintain.

The side effect of replacing the copper wires with cheaper and far superior
fibre is that we have the opportunity to obtain significantly higher
internet speeds with far higher quality connections and zero crosstalk. The
thing that makes fibre expensive is that you have to put it in in the first
place.