Thanks for the input.

Both MailChimp and Campaign monitor look good in terms of
functionality....but....I'm not sure that our business is going to be happy
to hand over 5,000 or so 'customer' email addresses to a 3rd party, no
matter how secure they claim to be.

I'm definitely *not looking to build*, so is there an equivalent,
self-hosted, off-the-shelf product that anyone has experience with?

[Note I used 'CRM' in quotes because it's not really a CRM, it's a Student
Information System that just happens to also contain a bunch of email
addresses for people that we regularly send email to].