Hi Richard,

Yes I have done quite a bit of this kind of work. The detail is in the
contract, but given your below I assume it is some form of fixed price for a
deliverable?

This can get nasty if you don't deliver - so best to understand what you are
getting into and what they expect from you.

Some things I would normally do.

1.       Scope - ensure you understand it

2.       Scope - ensure your client understands it

3.       What are the dependencies - are there are any outside of your
control? (eg You need to use this library from your predecessor it works in
the old version, so should work in the new, right?)

4.       Is anything undecided? (eg You will need to talk to vendor xyz to
do that)

5.       Ensure that if something changes you raise it early.

6.       If decisions need to be made, document them so you have something
to fall back on.

7.       If some of the technology choices are new to you (say new DB),
learn about them - or exempt them.

8.       Talk to them regularly - no surprises is my motto.

Normally what you can do is say that you commit to something within your
means to control it. Things outside are variations on the contract.

Rob