Folks, for a Silverlight 5 demo I have to create a control that looks and
behaves like a simple "designer" we see in modern IDEs. They want to see a
blank canvas, then use the mouse to drag rectangles onto parts of the
canvas, delete, arrange and resize them, and possibly z-order them as well.
I would then save the layout of the resulting rectangles. The saved
definitions would be used by a different app to fill a screen's rectangular
areas with reports, charts and pictures.

Creating the designer experience from scratch would be pretty taxing as I'd
have to manually move visuals around in response to mouse gestures. Before
I embark upon such an exercise I was wondering if anyone could think of a
way of cheating and perhaps piggy-backing on something else to help me.