Not sure if it’s of use in this case but you can use char.GetUnicodeCategory to
check validity of a Unicode character

varvalidCharacter='q';

varucCategory=char.GetUnicodeCategory(validCharacter);

varisValidUnicode=ucCategory!=UnicodeCategory.OtherNotAssigned;

varinvalidCharacter=(char) 888;

ucCategory=char.GetUnicodeCategory(invalidCharacter);

isValidUnicode=ucCategory!=UnicodeCategory.OtherNotAssigned;

Jason Roberts
Journeyman Software Developer

Twitter: @robertsjason
Blog: http://DontCodeTired.com