Here's a bit of a warning ... Last week I uninstalled VS2010 as it was
running alongside VS2012 and it was of no use any more. Tonight I launch
SSMS 2012 and it says required components are missing and tells me to
reinstall. Web searches produce lots of hits, and suggestions about
deleting registry keys are worthless. I ran the SSMS 2012 installer exe
again and picked "Repair". This miraculously made it work again.

I also noticed that the registry keys under SSMS have dozens of references
to VS2010 folders. I changed some of the more obvious ones to point to
equivalent VS2012 folders, which fixed some other warning popups that I was
getting.

So basically there is an unholy tangle of dependencies between SSMS and VS
versions more subtle than I suspected, so be careful. I look forward to
building a brand new machine next Xmas to clear all of the detritus out.
I'm always irritated by the way many "big" products don't uninstall so
easily or so cleanly, leaving fragments all over the place.

Greg K