 From: Greg Keogh <g...@mira.net>
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Sent: Sunday, 5 January 2014 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Recommendations for ASP.Net MVC book

Hi Iain, your message is well timed, as I'm also jumping head first into
ASP.NET MVC because it seems popular and I'm hoping to find a neater
alternative to the bloated mountain of gotchas that is WebForms.

I had this book delivered two weeks ago: Programming ASP.NET MVC 4: Developing
Real-World Web Applications with ASP.NET MVC. I also found a free PDF of the
whole book.

I don't recommend this book. Hundreds of pages are devoted to databases,
testing, security, caching and building, which have little to do with the core
of learning ASP.NET MVC. I'm angered by the lack of attention to the vitally
important MVC coding techniques and how to manage the page lifecycle. The book
does not contain enough information, discussion or samples to empower you to
dive in and correctly structure and code a significant app.

I'm going to buy another book. Maybe someone can recommend one for both of us.

Greg K

Happy New Year all,