Folks, over a year ago I reported this problem with VS2012 where it forgot
while files were open when I reopened a solution. This disease returned
in recent days to VS2013. The previous fix of exporting all settings
(except Windows layout), reset then import has no effect. Deleting suo
files has no effect.

I spent the last half hour fiddling with this and the problem seemed
intermittent. Further experiments reveal that the problem ONLY happens when
I close a project with a xaml file open in the designer. If I do so, all
windows are closed when I reopen the solution. Leaving any xaml designer
open is the specific cause of the problem. There are no useful search hits
on this and I can't find a fix so far.

Greg K