If there are any experienced users of TortoiseHG here I'd like to ask them
if they know of this problem and a way to fix it:

Right-clicking a file in the TortoiseHG UI and selecting Add or Forget
popups a dialog telling me: "*Filename* not under root *Folder*".

If I use the equivalent context menu from Windows Explorer the commands
work and refreshing the TortoiseHG UI shows me the changes. Web searches
produce no useful information on this problem. I have no idea what started
this, as I haven't run any upgrades or moved folders or done other
suspicious things, the problem just started one morning a couple of weeks
ago. It's driving me barking mad.

Greg K