I have read somewhere in the media before that TDD is not even being used
for the F35's development.
I thought writing something so complex without it would be crazy, myself.
Not that TDD is a silver-bullet, but in my experience it does make a
substantual difference to quality.
Hopefully they have some sort of automated testing process in place.

They may have other tricks as well. While they're probably using the Ada
programming language (which is known for its robustness), simple things
like making variables immutable by default can help reduce side effects -
especially in concurrent systems (which I'd imagine the F35 probably is)
since the precise order of execution is not known.