Thanks everyone for the suggestions about purchasing an iPad. We looked at
the various options and compared prices and found that all the prices were
in the same ballpark range (perhaps Apple control that). We had to go
shopping on Saturday anyway, so we went to the hypnotically other-worldly
Mac store in Southland and one of the "geniuses" gave a good run down on
what the options were. They were matching competing prices at JB and Dick
Smith anyway (if you knew to ask them) and there was also some sort of
end-of-year discount as well.

So eventually the missus got herself a mid-powered Mac Book to replace her
2006 vintage one, an iPad, an external DVD drive, an adapter for her Dell
monitor and a "box" containing nothing but a card with a serial number on
it to download Parallels so she can virtualise Windows.

I must say ... their stuff looks and feels slick doesn't it. When I see how
some of the software looks and behaves it makes me feel like giving up my
job writing Windows software and going busking instead.

*Greg K*