Greg,

The standard states quite explicitly that a BOM in UTF-8 is
unnecessary[1, 2] and discouraged[2]. I never understood why
Microsoft's Unicode implementation emitted it.

There is an overload of the System.Text.UTF8Encoding constructor that
lets you encode without a BOM.

[1] http://www.unicode.org/faq/utf_bom.html#bom5
[2] http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch02.pdf (section 2.6, p. 36)

--