When I was self employed back I got the best laptop I could afford and
carry. I spent 3k NZD on a sandybridge i7 + 16Gb + 2 x 128 Gb Kingston
Hyper X SSDs (as the mobo supported Raid 0) back in Oct 2011. The disks
them selves for 20% of the price.

Frankly it's still a beast (though I recently upgraded the disks). I do
sense that I'm accustomed to the fast load and compile times and I couldn't
I am finding that a bit slow now (yes I know it's a first world problem).

My advice is to seriously get the best tools you can afford as this is your
living and your sanity.

--
regards,
Preet, Overlooking the Ocean, Auckland