Well, you went to a Microsoft site to activate your subscription – so I’m
guessing you have cookies from Microsoft’s ad network.
Then, I guess any other site that’s using MSFT ad network behind the covers
will be able to access that same data.

From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com [mailto:ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com] On
Behalf Of Greg Keogh
Sent: Friday, 29 May 2015 10:13 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: [OT] More targeted advertising

Folks, here's a Friday curiosity and frightener for you ... A few days ago I
renewed my MSDN subscription. Last night I went to The Age newspaper web site
and I see a rather surprising ad down the right side (see below). What worries
me is that I only have 23 cookies from trusted sites, so somehow Fairfax and
their ad partners have access to information about my MSDN subscription. How is
that possible? I'm livid with anger, (partly at myself as well) because I take
serious steps to try and avoid this sort of thing, but it makes no difference.
Be afraid!

Greg K

[cid:image001.jpg@01D09A1C.E98B32C0]
​