Folks, can anyone confirm, deny or clarify any of the following?

Cross platform support in Visual Studio 2015 is totally dependent upon
Xamarin, which is a separate purchase and you need to pay separately for
targeting Android and iOS. VS2015 seems to be in direct competition with
Xamarin Studio, although the latter runs on both Windows and iOS. A
colleague tells me you have to play for Xamarin Studio, but the web site
says it's free, so which is it? Can anyone report on the experience of
writing, testing and deploying cross-platform apps from within Visual
Studio?

*Greg K*

P.S. I just noticed that VS2015 Pro "real" was published 2 days ago, so I'm
downloading the 3.8GB ISO now (the phone line running into the house is so
hot that birds can't perch on it!).