OK FOLKS! Those of you who are sys admins don't laugh at what I just found,
by accidentally noticing that all of my web sites where slowly vanishing
throughout the afternoon...

Around 11am this morning I finished migrating 6 of my domains from one
provider to another. I set the DNS A records for all domains to point to my
home server's IP address. However, I transposed two digits of the address
and as a result, all domains slowly vanished as the records were propagated
around the globe. That's certainly why my https test failed, then an hour
later the http test failed (as the domain vanished).

At 17:30 all my domains were invisible, so I just put the correct IP back
in all of them. Now I wait and maybe later tonight I'll find that my REST
API is working as I originally expected.

Amazing eh?! -- *Greg K*