Thanks folks, that help confirm the chat in the forums. If the IP changes
at monthly intervals, perhaps after a power failure or something else rare
then I can live with just updating my 6 DNS records at VentralIP manually.
I don't want to go back to using something like DynDns, as I used them
about 10 years ago and they went from free to $10/month, but the worst
thing is that it's just more *stuff* to manage and remember.

I have no choice of modem, they gave me a "slab" Netgear Gateway Max with
pretty blinking lights.

*GK*