Folks, I just read about Azure File Storage and I got all excited at the
possibility of creating a familiar mapped drive letter to the cloud. In the
portal I created the File share, uploaded some files and issued a net
use command
which failed with error 53. It turns out I didn't read the fine print in my
excitement, which says:

*To connect to this file share, run this command from any Windows virtual
machine on the same subscription and location*

So you can't just mount it from your home PC, only from a suitable VM. I
suppose there are security and performance issues, but it's a damn shame as
we could really have put this to good use as a kind of "giant file share"
for apps written in C++ with no code changes.

I just want to be sure that this is all true and there's not some less
restrictive way of using Azure File Storage. Is there some other magic way
of having a file share in the cloud from anywhere?

*Greg K*