Ian, I installed my Win10 onto a fresh SSD, so I suspect that the old
folder was the result of the big update that someone mentioned. I stupidly
forgot to look at the timestamp of the old folder and files before I
deleted them, or I might have been able to link them to that weird Monday
morning reboot. I haven't seen any $Windows or ~WS files around. Anyway,
I'm glad I got rid of the 120,000 files and 20 gigwatts of space, as my C:
drive SSD is a smallish one.

*GK*

On 6 March 2016 at 21:57, Ian Thomas <[email protected]> wrote:

> Greg, when the 15-11-2015 Windows 10 update (which is sometimes likened to
> a .1 update)occurred, all update records that you can see when back to zero
> so to speak. But it doesn’t create a Windows.old (or mine haven’t) – that
> is typical of an upgrade that can back off” to the previous installed
> version of Windows.
>
> Do you also have a folder $Windows.~WS  with something in it? That is a
> part / a remnant of a qualifying prior Windows version, having downloaded
> the stuff necessary for the initial Windows 10 install.
>
> Maybe the friend who did your initial hardware assembly and Windows
> installation had a prior booting Windows on the current boot drive?
>
>
>
> Ian Thomas
>
> Albert Park, Victoria 3206 Australia
>
>
>
> *From:* [email protected] [mailto:
> [email protected]] *On Behalf Of *Greg Keogh
> *Sent:* Sunday, 6 March 2016 7:10 PM
> *To:* ozDotNet <[email protected]>
> *Subject:* [OT] Windows.old folder
>
>
>
> Folks, probably a Friday topic, but FYI ... I was doing some Sunday
> evening backups and cleanups and I noticed a Windows.old folder taking
> about 20GB with ~120000 files in it! Now the weird thing is that I have no
> clear idea when or where this came from. I didn't run or accept any major
> upgrades, and my Win10 C: drive was installed fresh a few weeks ago.
>
>
>
> You may recall two Monday mornings ago I booted and received a weird (and
> scary) windows update style message about "your files are still where you
> left them" and all my customisations had been reversed. Someone in here
> suggested that I had been upgraded to Windows 10.1, which is possible, but
> I find no record in the update history. I can only guess that I did receive
> a gigantic OS upgrade without warning, creating the Windows.old folder.
> This does worry me, as I like to have control over major decisions like
> this, and I certainly did in older versions of Windows. Even iOS is more
> polite and helpful about performing vast upgrades.
>
>
>
> You have to login as local Administrator, take ownership of the folder and
> propagate full control all the way down before you can delete it.
>
>
>
> *GK*
>

Reply via email to