Ah, you can automate the process by running an "agent" (a service?) on your
server. I see Comodo also offer a free 90 day certificate. This could be a
weekend project to apply to my personal domain.

As a side issue ... last time I tried to get IIS on 2012 to allow both http
and https to the same domain it went haywire in incomprehensible ways and I
reverted back to https only. I presume there was some simple trick I missed
despite the searches for help. I'll have to battle that problem again as
I'd want both working on my hobby site.

*GK*