Thanks Preet and Greg. Unfortunately I am working with legacy code so can
only make minor changes.

I have some more questions :)

The article referenced in Preet's answer has a while loop to retry three
times. The transaction is wholly contained within that loop:

Structure without the noise:

WHILE
BEGIN
  BEGIN TRANSACTION   Do some stuff that should be rolled back if
transaction fails  BEGIN TRY
        Do something that causes deadlock
    COMMIT
    BREAK
  END TRY
  BEGIN CATCH
    ROLLBACK
    CONTINUE
  END CATCH;
END

Say that there is a deadlock on the first iteration => the transaction
rolls back (including [ Do some stuff that should be rolled back if
transaction fails] and also [ Do something that causes deadlock ] ), loop
continues, new transaction is started, all good

But, what if the loop is inside the transaction?

BEGIN TRANSACTION
Do some stuff that should be rolled back if transaction fails
WHILE
BEGIN
  BEGIN TRY
Do something that causes deadlock
BREAK
  END TRY
  BEGIN CATCH
CONTINUE
  END CATCH;
        END
COMMIT

>From what I understand, when the deadlock occurs and this sp is the victim,
the transaction rolls back as before. But now the loop continues, only
doing  [ Do something that causes deadlock ]. This time that bit of code
succeeds, but what happens when COMMIT is hit? The original transaction is
gone. I assume the effect of  [ Do something that causes deadlock ]  remains.
I'm not really clear about this.

And back in the real world, what if the transaction was started in C# code
on the connection, before calling:

Do some stuff that should be rolled back if transaction fails
WHILE
BEGIN
  BEGIN TRY
Do something that causes deadlock
BREAK
  END TRY
  BEGIN CATCH
CONTINUE
  END CATCH;
        END

Now there is no transaction code at all in the SQL - the transaction is
supplied on the connection. The deadlock kills that transaction, but then
the SQL loops and tries again. Now there is no transaction? Or is there a
new implicit transaction on the connection? What happens when the commit is
attempted in the C# code?

I know this is a long question and appreciate any answers received.

Regards
David