> Server updates installed?

Nah, it's had the windows update icon in the tray for months.

If yes maybe uninstall .net and reinstall.

Yep, that fixed it, somehow!

I uninstalled 4.6.1. In VS2017 I created a setup project for my WPF
program, specifying a dependency upon 4.6.1. When I run the installer EXE
launcher (not the MSI) it detected the missing Framework and I said yes to
"download from the vendor's website". After that it all came good. So I was
rescued by an automated reinstall.

I guess the reinstall used a different 4.6.1 installer?! In the morning I
used the "4.6.1 offline installer", which seemed correct. Uh, who knows?

*Greg K*