Folks, back in the old forum days we used to ban C# vs VB language wars,
except on Friday. Since it's late Friday I want to mention I'm in a war (a
skirmish) at the moment with a colleague who has been using
Borland/Embarcadero C++ since it was created back in the early 90s. Some of
our current products are mix of .NET tooling for most of the plumbing and
UIs with a huge C++ "engine" which does the grunt work of reading and
analysing huge text files of marketing data. It's a continual pain to
maintain this native DLL in the suite and it's clumsy to Interop into its
functions without any strongly-typed API.

I claimed this morning that "the age of C++ is over" … There is no
convenient language or library support for asynchrony, multi-tasking, web
service calls or manipulating popular formats like XML and JSON. I know my
colleague has suffered dreadfully trying to get any of those things
understood and working. He claims that C++ is still the best choice for
desktop development which is computationally intensive. I said that may
have been true before modern languages arrived with GCs and highly
optimised JIT compilers. In fact I said the old claim that "C++ is best for
high performance" is now an urban legend.

However, I now have to back-up my claim. Is the age of C++ over? Does
anyone have a really strong opinion on this?

*Greg K*

Reply via email to