No, no simple way, no.

Remember that your code can have a dependency on a external dll, that *itself* 
has a dependency on a library that you *happen* only to have 32 bit version of 
installed (as mentioned elsewhere, db drivers are the most common). Not simple.
________________________________
From: [email protected] <[email protected]> on behalf 
of Tom P <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2019 11:34:32 AM
To: ozDotNet
Subject: Re: Legacy Asp.net application change from 32bit to 64bit

Just doing it would require full regression testing, would it not?

I don’t suppose there is a simple way to check if any non compliant old DLLs 
are used?

On Tue, 19 Feb 2019 at 14:23, Greg Keogh 
<[email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:

My question is what should I consider if I want to change to 64 bit? Can 
anything break?

I'd just turn off the 32-bit flag in the pool, run it and see what happens. If 
it's calling some weird old native API then you should find out soon enough.

Strangely enough, I'm in the reverse situation, trying to downgrade to 32-bit. 
I have a Web Api in Azure that's calling a 64-bit Borland DLL, so the minimum 
plan for 64-bit is ~$80/month, whereas for 32-bit it's ~$20/month. Lord knows 
why it's quadruple price for 64-bit. I tried to build and test in VS2017 with 
the 32-bit DLL and everything failed and crashed in every way possible. You 
think that would be easy, but I'm still trying to figure it out

Greg K
--
Thanks
Tom

Reply via email to