Why not turn indexing off for it?  I used to make sure it never indexed
source or compiled output files

On Thu, May 23, 2019, 17:44 David Rhys Jones <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I use onedrive, with the save space and download files as you use them. I
> also limit the amount of bandwidth it's using. I've not experienced the
> same issues that you have.
> My git repository is in my onedrive folder which is a bit bigger than your
> set up,
>
> Regards
> Davy
>
>
>
> *... .. / .... --- -.-. / .-.. . --. . .-. . / ... -.-. .. ... / -. .. --
> .. ..- -- / . .-. ..- -.. .. - .. --- -. .. ... / .... .- -... . ... .-.-.-*
>
>
>
> On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 9:38 AM Greg Harris <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Sorry, this is a bit of a long rambling request for advice on using or
>> replacing dropbox due to performance reasons with a large number of files
>> (about 0.5M+ files).
>>
>> I used to be a huge supporter of dropbox.  It used to just work and was
>> reasonably responsive.  Then it just stopped working for me last year.
>>
>> I think this may have been around the time when the OS updates were made
>> for Spectre and Meltdown Security Flaw.  The drop in effective performance
>> of the CPU may have pushed the machine below the capacity to run the
>> software???
>>
>> I attempted to get some help from dropbox but that was a huge waste of
>> time.
>>
>> I have now just got around to looking at alternatives.
>>
>> The first one I tried was One Drive.  Because I am in a Microsoft setup,
>> One Drive was the first logical choice.
>>
>> My current One Drive setup has 283K files in 105K folders with 70GB in
>> the cloud and 27GB on the local machine.
>>
>> With One Drive in use, I have noticed the “One Drive Sync Engine” along
>> with the “Windows Search Indexer” tasks running all the time, pushing up
>> the CPU usage and the fans on the system are running to cool it down (which
>> beforehand never happened).  It is somewhat clever enough to know when
>> there is interactive use and push the priority of the task down.  But if I
>> go away from my desk for a few minutes the task is taking a lot of CPU and
>> the fans are running again.
>>
>> What I am looking for in a dropbox alternative is:
>>
>> 1.       Reasonable performance
>>
>> 2.       Online backup of working files
>>
>> 3.       Reasonable price (yes I will pay for it)
>>
>> I think that my options are:
>>
>> 1.       https://www.dropbox.com – Should I go back and try again????
>>
>> 2.       https://onedrive.live.com/ - Are the problems I am having
>> consistent with your experience?
>>
>> 3.       https://www.google.com/drive/
>>
>> 4.       https://www.box.com/
>>
>> 5.       Other
>>
>> I am running an old Intel Xeon 2.8GHz with 32 GB RAM as the base machine
>> with a 3 core 10 GB VM inside it as my primary work horse machine.
>>
>> It has been clear the Moore’s law has died in the last five years, so I
>> have seen no clear and present need to upgrade this machine.  I am thinking
>> that may be wrong, do I just need a new machine???
>>
>>
>> Thanks for your help on this :-)
>>
>>
>> Greg Harris
>> Harris Consulting Group Pty Ltd
>> [email protected]
>> www.HarrisConsultingGroup.com <http://harrisconsultinggroup.com/home.htm>
>> phone: (international) +61 407 942 982
>> phone: (within Australia) 0407 942 982
>> Sydney
>> Australia
>>
>

Reply via email to