Visual Studio can automatically add these <bindingRedirect> elements to a
project's config file if you want, but if you have dozens of projects then
a real jumble of config files and redirects arises. I hate these spurious
files because they're a clumsy way of hiding real problems. I always
experimentally comment out the redirects until by trial-and-error I know
which ones are useless, which is sometimes all of them.

In the last year or so with the rise of .NET Core and Standard, when mixed
with full Framework projects you can get a knot of configs and redirects so
complex that the devil himself couldn't untangle them. I have some
solutions at the moment producing hundreds of build version warnings, and
one Sunday afternoon I spent 3 solid hours trying to get a clean build
without success. For the moment I've given up and just try to ignore the
warnings.

This is the modern equivalent of native DLL hell from the 1990s.

*Greg K*