From: ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com <ozdotnet-boun...@ozdotnet.com> On Behalf
Of Greg Keogh
Sent: Thursday, 16 December 2021 6:00 PM
To: ozDotNet <ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com>
Subject: [OT] log4j Internet Doom

It's almost Friday ...

Many of you might have read the blazing headlines everywhere that the whole
Internet is about to crash because of a security vulnerability in log4j. I
haven't written Java since early 2001, so I went looking for tech details.

It turns out someone wrote an appender (in our log4net terms) that parsed a Uri
out of a special bit of syntax, then blindly loaded and ran what was at the
Uri. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? I think that this guilty JNDI
appender is available by default, that is, it's in the JAR or something like
that (I can't get further fine details on that).

So it's a bit like Aircrash Investigations where it takes multiple things to go
wrong and make a bigger wrong.

Who could have imagined that a logging library would bring the Internet down?!