It has helped me ramp up on a new job far faster than I've ever ramped up
before, and without having to ask questions of key busy staff. I've been
able to ask it to explain terminology as well in the sector I'm working in.
By not having to bother key people with what must  otherwise appear to them
as trivial questions, it increases my credibility. I only have to ask them
the more complicated domain related questions.

I'm also mainly a SQL Server person. My current job uses Oracle and MySQL.
I can ask it to show me examples of how to perform tasks that I do in SQL
Server but in Oracle or MySQL.

I can ask it to explain some Oracle procs/functions.

I can also provide it with code in one language and ask it to change it to
another language.

We use BuildKite at work. I have no interest in learning BuildKite. I have
given it a BuildKite script and asked it to translate it to a GitHub Action
script. It gets pretty close. Yes, I still need to debug the script, but
it's far easier if the general jist of the job is already there.

I have found that people most turned off AI are the ones that tried it in
the early days and haven't tried GPT-4, or are stuck on the free version. I
can understand people walking away after using GPT3.5. It simply gave
garbage answers at least half of the time, and so became a time waster.
Some people are stuck on the first AI they find most effective. I will most
likely suffer from this problem. Until someone proves that another AI is
better than the one I am using, I will find it difficult to move on. People
at work that tried GPT3.5 have pretty much refused to use Copilot. I think
that's a mistake, as it's only going to get better as time goes on and the
people willing to keep moving forward are the ones that will get the most
benefit from productivity improvements, potentially making the others look
bad or slow.

Hope that helps, enough from me for now!

On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 12:40 PM Tony Wright <tonyw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> take a doco and ask it to group common themes and produce summaries of the
>> requirements. Like most developers, my attention would be
>> struggling otherwise. I can also ask it to act like a BDD expert and
>> produce Gherkin statements for the testers.
>>
>> It helps a lot when I get stuck on a problem. I often get a much better
>> answer if I ask Bing Chat than if I try to Google it. That could, of
>> course, be a consequence of how bad Google has become at providing an
>> answer. Sometimes other people in the team have issues and they come to me
>> with a much more sophisticated problem. This might mean that I don't even
>> know the context of the issue they are having, but I can interrogate Bing
>> Chat and it will give me a response that is quite helpful in many cases.
>>
>> It helps when I want to get started on a new problem. I can ask it what I
>> think I need to know and it often returns answers that help me fine tune
>> what I am trying to do. Sometimes that requires multiple interactions. If
>> I'm looking for a new library to solve a problem, I can ask it for advice
>> on what to look at. It is often helpful, but sometimes makes wrong
>> assumptions about what I am trying to achieve. The important thing is it
>> gives me an idea of some libraries to consider.
>>
>> Finally, there comes a point at which its value drops and I am getting
>> better at detecting when that happens and...head to stack overflow.
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 12:25 PM Dr Greg Low via ozdotnet <
>> ozdotnet@ozdotnet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There were other things I should have mentioned.
>>>

>>> The new PowerPoint co-pilot where you just say “Prepare me a
>>> presentation about what’s in xyz.docx” is pretty amazing.
>>>

>>> I’ve used ChatGPT to rewrite marketing blurb for various things. It does
>>> that very well. However, I’ve asked it to improve a paragraph of writing,
>>> and find that something like the Hemmingway editor does a far superior job.
>>>

>>> In Teams, having the AI tool write a summary of what just happened in a
>>> meeting is pretty stunning.
>>>

>>> We are going to just be using these tools all day long.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>

>>> Greg
>>>

>>> Dr Greg Low
>>>

>>> 1300SQLSQL (1300 775 775) office | +61 419201410 mobile
>>>
>>> SQL Down Under | Web: https://sqldownunder.com
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__sqldownunder.com_&d=DwMFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=2rgtwrXggQFZiZbisdwDooYFalucb-vLhjG0McaanBZKn0UVuognuHqfHnjp2AVc&m=I23jyX4AKIv9q2x7A3CQAer9PGCjq8R6DwW7BE1IAhZ1JbigKMrMPRCjs6AqW7h3&s=o3oFliHztOF8D9Nbqaa7KQdqC-zkQNXWl4IqnEG58Wc&e=>
>>> About Greg:  https://about.me/greg.low
>>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__about.me_greg.low&d=DwMFAg&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=2rgtwrXggQFZiZbisdwDooYFalucb-vLhjG0McaanBZKn0UVuognuHqfHnjp2AVc&m=I23jyX4AKIv9q2x7A3CQAer9PGCjq8R6DwW7BE1IAhZ1JbigKMrMPRCjs6AqW7h3&s=NsAibgiqfCxsyc8m2DBKogKQcs3OqE3mkyCjmpoYxTk&e=>

  • AI Tom Gao via ozdotnet
    • RE: AI Dr Greg Low via ozdotnet
      • Re: AI mike smith via ozdotnet
        • RE: AI Dr Greg Low via ozdotnet